History of CCID
1951- Present The Central California Irrigation District
Organization of the Central California Irrigation District occurred in 1951 as a result of an election by landowners then receiving water from the San Joaquin Canal Company, a former Miller & Lux holding. Landowners then held a second election for the purpose of levying a general obligation bond against the properties within the newly formed District. Through the sale of these bonds, they raised enough capital to purchase the assets, including the water rights and distribution system, from the San Joaquin Canal Company. In 1954, the newly formed district took over operation of the Canal Company.
Since then, CCID has prided itself in providing quality service to its farmers and being a good custodian of its water resources. In recent decades, the district has implemented innovative water conservation programs funded by water transfers. These programs have enabled CCID to exceed state water conservation standards, both through districtwide conservation projects and through loans and grants to farmers for their own conservation projects.